Tuesday 3 July 2012

Around the World with You: Poppy Norton

This week we continue on our little blog trip ‘Around the World,’ this time with Poppy Norton showing us the way.  Poppy is in our circle of 'Twitter sisters' and we have got to know her since we started out on the Sisters Guild adventure.   Poppy is the super-seeker of all that is stylish on Baby Style File.  Her experience comes from her career as a stylist, a very desirable one we must add.  You must take a look here poppynorton.com for some great inspiration.

And where else can this talented mama, blogger and stylist be found?  Online, she is here @babystylefile and here @poppynorton.  But, we were keen to find out just where her favourite place may be.  As she’s a London ‘gal’ we had our suspicions it would be somewhere in the capital…..and yes, we were right!  It sounds like quite a special place and we are very pleased to add it to the map, and our wanderlust-list!
So, where exactly is it?  Read on...


My favourite place? Well there are quite a few to choose from, New York is quite high up on the list (I love the contrasting architecture and cultures and the fact it's a city where you spend your time looking up). India is also a super special spot (I can't even begin to put down in words how beautiful it is in both colour and fragrance.) But I'm also a big old fan of the city in which I live, London. So much culture, plus I find extreme comfort in knowing that I can get photocopying done at 3am should the urge take me (yes, I know this is a strange way to measure happiness, but there you go.)




One of my most favourite spots in London is a beautiful restaurant called The Wolseley thewolseley.com. Originally a car showroom in the 1920's the interior has been beautifully restored to a state of wow when you walk in (these photos don't really do it justice if I'm honest). But despite being amazingly grand it has a sense of ease about it and you're not made to feel uncomfortable should you rock up in a pair of jeans. It also holds a lot of personal memories for me, it's one of my very happy places. Oh and the cakes are pretty good too! 


Thank you Poppy for introducing to us to 'your place' of fine dining in such a sublime setting.  I am now dreaming of a decadent Afternoon Tea  (without the rascals). It's definitely a place to lust and linger!


Where's your favourite place? 

Perhaps it's granny's garden, your local park, a far-flung island, a museum, or cafe. Perhaps it's a building in your city, a shop window, a shady spot under a tree.

Holly Golightly, played by Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's says:

"Well, when I get it the only thing that does any good is to jump in  a cab and go to Tiffany's. Calms me down right away. The quietness and the proud look of it; nothing very bad could happen to you there. If I could find a real-life place that'd make me feel like Tiffany's, then - then I'd buy some furniture and give the cat a name."

Whatever, wherever your favourite place is we want to share it.

Here's how to get involved:
•    Send us a picture of your favourite place  - or we can source one for you as we have above.
•    Tell us where it is. If you'd like to tell us why even better.
•    Email it to : info@sistersguild.com

We will share each one, each week, here on our blog and we will create an interactive global map of all the places we receive, building a community of people and places and making our global neighbourhood that little bit closer.

So, put your place upon the map and shout a big 'Hello'
Imagine all the people all the places we could know

No comments:

Post a Comment